ADVOCATING FOR ELDER RIGHTS:
Voicing Elder Needs
Voicing Elder Needs
The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members.
In order to mainstream the urgent concerns of the older persons in the country, HelpAge India advocates for their needs such as for Universal pension, quality healthcare, food security, action against Elder Abuse and many more at the national, state and societal level with Central and State governments. It advocates for elder friendly policies and their implementation thereof.
It partners with other organisations to research various aspects of ageing. Poverty in old age is a major challenge in India and many other problems like abuse, neglect of health care emanate from it. Majority of India’s elderly still live with the family in the hope they would take care of them in their later years, but in the recent past, many cases have come to light of the inability of family to take care of them.
Many older persons live in India, while their children migrate to other countries in search of better economic prospects or professional fulfilment. These elderly have their own set of concerns.
HelpAge’s Policy Research and Advocacy Unit addresses these concerns by:
- Engagement with the government and Legislative bodies:>to bring the field experience of the organization to the table to influence policy measures, to reflect and address the real concerns of the ageing population
- Engagement with Students :to encourage intergenerational bonding
- Research:on issues like social security in old age, age friendly environment, health care, laws on older persons, marginalization of older person after natural disasters
- Publications:Research reports, Journal thrice a year with research and service based articles on aged and ageing in India; reader friendly self-care manuals and booklets; relevant information booklets
- Seminars, Workshops and Training: on ageing issues with policy makers, government officers, academicians, young students to sensitize them on the ground realities of ageing population in India
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- 2 USD – to support the per day expense of a destitute elderly in an Old Age Home